Monday, August 12, 2013

WHAT'S IN THE BOX?? a.k.a. When to not ask questions.


Most of what I've learned in my life I've learned because I've asked questions.  As a child, I constantly asked my mom what words meant and why the sky is blue.  I've always been insatiably curious about things.  I'll ask questions about things others might take for granted and I'm rarely satisfied with the answer.  It's not that I don't accept truths or facts, it's more that I so badly want to understand why truths or facts are, in fact, truths and facts.  Examples of child-like questions I've asked as an adult:  What happens to whales when they die?  Why can't a body thermometer tell you the temperature of the air?  I know the answers now, by the way.

That said, it's pretty important to know when and why to ask questions.  Since today is the birthday of Erwin Schrodinger, in honor of his cat experiment, I thought a brief explanation of questioning may be in order.  Please note, this is an opinion based explanation of questions.  So if you disagree, that's cool.

I believe that you should not ask questions if you're not prepared to hear every possible answer.  Don't ask a girl out unless you're prepared for her to say yes OR no.  Don't ask someone if they are mad at you unless you're expecting a yes as much as a no.  To open the cat box or to leave it and assume the status of the cat?  Before you open the box you have to know the cat could be alive or dead.  You could get a yes OR a no.  You could be happy or upset.  OR, you could just not ask...

New question: Is ignorance really bliss?

By the way, the most common response I got from my mom when I asked questions was "look it up."

End.

1 comment:

  1. Love this - especially the Seven reference - I mean really, what did he think was in the box?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive